- Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, (49 credit hour cross-genre terminal degree, Creative Nonfiction Specialization): West Virginia Wesleyan College, Buckhannon, WV, 2017.
- Bachelor’s Degree in English w/ specialization in Writing, Minor in Journalism: Glenville State College, Glenville, WV, 1994. Served as the Managing Editor of the student newspaper and co-editor of the school yearbook.
- Associate Degree in Liberal Arts: Washington State Community College, Marietta OH, 1992.
- Low Residency Audit (3 hours), Winter 2018: West Virginia Wesleyan College MFA Program.
- Ultimate Travel Writing, Fall 2004: American Writers & Artists Institute, Delray Beach, FL.
Courses Related to Spiritual/Life Coaching:
- Mindfulness Certification, New Skills Academy, June 2022.
- Basic Yoga Certification, New Skills Academy, July 2022.
- Basic Meditation Certification, New Skills Academy, May 2022.
- How To Be a Spiritual Beacon, Master Class with Marianne Willamson, January 2022.
- Guiding Mindfulness Meditations, with Sean Fargo, January 2022.
- Vision Boards, with Mix Fox of SelfMadeLadies.com, January 2022.
- 5 Paths To Your Purpose Masterclass, with Martha Beck, January 2022.
- Intuitive Coaching Skills, with Heather Alice Shea, January 2022.
- Visionary’s Guide to Empowering Women, with Claire Zammit, January 2022.
Courses Related to Online Education:
- Critical Practices for Anti-Bias Education, Outschool.com, February 2020.
- Protecting Student Privacy (FERPA, COPPA, PPRA), Common Sense Education, February 2021.
- Increasing Student Engagement Online, Common Sense Education, February 2021.
- News Literacy and Civic Engagement, Common Sense Education, February 2021.
- Best Practices in Anti-Bias Education, Outschool.com, February 2021.
- ReadSquared Platform for Online Learning, February 2021, West Virginia Library Commission.
- Teaching Digital Citizenship, Common Sense Education, February 2021.
- Online Classroom Management, Outschool.com, January 2021.
- Student Safety and Privacy, Outschool.com, November 2020.
- Building Diverse Learning Environments, Common Sense Education, September 2020.
- Using Improv o Redefine Education, Common Sense Education, July 2020.
- Using Google Platforms, West Virginia Library Commission, August 2020.
- Creating & Launching Your Online Course, November 2019.
- Blackboard Learn Basic Training, August 2017: Facilitated by WVNet.
Courses from the Idaho Commission for Libraries:
- Introduction to Subject Headings (1.5 hours), March 2019.
- Introduction to Dewey Classification (2 hours), March 2019.
- Introduction to MARC Cataloging (1.5 hours), August 2017.
- Basic Library Reference Sources (3 hours), July 2017.
- Evaluating Reference Sources (2 hours), July 2017.
- Library Ethics and Public Service (2 hours), July 2017.
- Public Library Interlibrary Loans (1 hour), July 2017.
- Library Collection Materials Selection (1.5 hours), June 2017.
- Building a Collection (1.5 hours), June 2017
- Collection Development Policy, February 2017. (1.5 credit hours.)
- Library Merchandising, November 2016. (1.5 credit hours.)
- The Library Reference Interview, November 2016. (2 credit hours.)
- Intro to Library Tech Services & Catalog Records, Nov. 2016. (1.5 credit hours.)
- Collection Assessment, November 2016. (1 credit hour.)
- Library Collection Maintenance, November 2016. (2 credit hours.)
Certified Courses from WebJunction:
- Marketing Outside the Library, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
- Incubate Creativity at Your Library, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
- Providing Constructive Employee Feedback, October 2018. (1.5 credit hours.)
- Rural Resources & Funding, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
- Public Library Directors 101, October 2018. (3 credit hours.)
- Weeding the Library Collection, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
- Directors ASK, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
- Tactics for Time Management & Organization, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
- Foundations of Interpersonal Communication, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
- Reader Advisory Services, October 2018. (1 credit hour.)
Seminars at Perley Isaac Reed School of Journalism at West Virginia University:
- Web Content Management, February 2012.
- Digital Photography, October 2012.
- Video & Audio Production, November 2012.
- Digital First Reporting & Online Revenue; January 2013.
Online Seminars at Poynter News University:
- Online Media Law: The Basics for Bloggers & Online Publishers, April 2012.
- Copyright Law & Fair Use for Journalists, February 2012.
- Ethics of Journalism & Freedom of Information, February 2012.
- Community Journalism: Strategies for Managing Local Contributors, March 2012.
- Research Essentials, 2020: via the West Virginia Library Commission
- Basic Disaster Birth Support Certification, 2013: through the Midwives Alliance of West Virginia.
- GAP (Good Agricultural Practices) Training, January 2014: via the West Virginia Department of Agriculture.
- Post Harvest Handling of Fruits/Vegetables; Planning for Fall Markets; Marketing Local Foods; Pricing Foods for Market; Visual Merchandising & Packaging: 2014 classes through the Mid-Ohio Valley Grower’s Association.
- Ordained Minister – American Marriage Ministries / With Gospel Wisdom Church –
December 2021 – Present
Presiding over weddings and funerals, spiritual counseling & coaching, guided prayers and meditations.
- Library Director – Gilmer Public Library, September 2018-Present
Accounts payable, accounts receivable, program and staff development, event planning, fundraising, grant writing, public relations, supervision, leadership, inventory, collection development, and building management.
- Publisher/Editor – Two-Lane Renaissance, December 2021-Present
- Assistant Librarian – Gilmer Public Library, October 2016-September 2018
Research assistance, circulation desk, display management, technical assistance, mini-library management, program management, public relations, public service, and collection curation.
- Adjunct Instructor: Speech – Glenville State University; Winter 2017, Fall 2017, Spring 2018, Fall 2018, Fall 2020
Teaching Introduction to Public Speaking, focusing on organization, process, and practice of speeches to inform, persuade and entertain (in-person, hybrid, and online courses).
- Adjunct Instructor: English Foundations – Glenville State College; Fall 2014, Fall 2015, Fall 2016
Teaching English Fundamentals, focusing on reading, understanding, and writing the essay; and Speech, focusing on organization, research, and presentation.
- Residency Assistant: West Virginia Wesleyan College MFA Program. (Winter Session 2018)
Assisting Program Director; managing check-in of students; welcoming Visiting Faculty and Writers; coordinating with caterers, security, and maintenance; managing book sales for visiting writers and faculty; responding to issues and solving arising problems and glitches.
- Publisher/Editor – Two-Lane Livin’ Magazine, 2007 – 2017
Coordinating columns, ads, etc. into monthly publication; invoicing, accounts payable; customer relations, sales, design, production, and marketing.
- Farm to School Coordinator – WV Office Of Child Nutrition, AmeriCorps Volunteer, October 2013-September 2014
Connecting local producers, farmers & growers to local schools; grant writing; marketing & recruitment; education.
- Reporter/Columnist/Editor – The Calhoun Chronicle, Grantsville WV. 2004-2006
Covering & reporting on county-wide news events; photography, website design; writing a weekly column; meeting weekly deadlines.
- Teacher – Hit The Ground Running, Calhoun County Board of Education. 2002
Teaching job interviewing and basic computer skills to low-income women facing the end of their government assistance in a grant-funded training program.
- Freelance Graphic Artist / Copywriter / Publisher – Written & Read LLC, Stumptown WV. 2000-2004
Maintaining websites; creating & distributing online/email newsletter campaigns for Fun Inc. (Chicago IL) & Mr. Fun (Cleveland OH).
- Desktop Publisher / Copy Designer – Office of Public Relations, Glenville State College, Glenville WV. 2000-2001
Designing/Maintaining college website; writing press releases/feature articles; designing ads & brochures; advising yearbook staff of 12.
- Marketing Director / Graphic Designer / Staff Writer – Hampton Ridge Magic, (Now Fun, Inc.) Chicago, IL. 1996-2000
Creating a wholesale product catalog for 3500 items; designing product packaging; writing trick instructions; penning two magic books.
- Familiar with: Zoom, Microsoft Teams, BlackBoard, Schoolology, QuarkExpress, NearPod, QuickBooks, Excel, Wix, Ebsco, World Book Online.
- Proficient with: WordPress, Google Platforms, Sierra, LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Canva, Skype, Audacity, Video Production, Vimeo, YouTube, Lulu, Web Pac Pro, Overdrive.
- Skilled with: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, PowerPoint, Digital Photography, MailChimp, Research.
- Also Familiar with: Printers, Tablets, Copiers, Fax, Routers, Microphones, Cash Registers, Laminators, Crickets, 3D Printers.
- Simply Spiritual: Basic Magic Practices for the Solitary Soul: December 2020
- Simply Spiritual Workbook: December 2020
- Simply Psychic: Making Magic with Scientific ESP: December 2020
- Life in the Slow Lane: Author/Publisher, December 2019
- Favorite Reflections: Author/Publisher, November 2019
- Essays of Empathy: Author/Publisher, November 2019
- Mountain Ink Literary Journal: Editor/Publisher, 2016-2018
- Two-Lane Livin’ Magazine: Editor, Publisher, Columnist, Layout Designer. September 2007-2017
- The Seasons of Audra State Park: Spring: Photographer, Copy Editor, Publisher. Winter 2008
- Encounter Calhoun (Travel Guide): Editor, Travel Writer, Layout Designer. Published by Calhoun Newspapers, April 2005
- Favorite Reflections – A Collection: Editor, Writer, Layout. Published by Calhoun Newspapers, November 2005
- A Calhoun County Christmas Sampler (Collection of Historical Stories): Editor, Layout. December 2005
- Thus Far – A Lifetime of Poetry: Publisher, Poet, Layout Designer. December 2005
- A Gilmer County Christmas Sampler (Collection of Historical Stories): Editor, Layout, Publisher. December 2004
- Gilmer Review (Travel Guide): Publisher, Travel Writer, Editor Layout Designer. April 2002
- Note: Writing Samples can be found online here.
- “Quiet Cacophony;” K’in Literary Journal, Summer 2022
- “Coronavirus Update: April 10;” Infection House, May 2020
- “Rachel;” The Trillium, Spring 2020, Glenville State College Press
- “Wrung Ekphrastic;” Dragonspeak, Spring 2020, Glenville State College Press
- “Shaken Foundations;” Mountains Upon Mountains: New Appalachian Nature Writing, April 2019, West Virginia University Press
- “Mentalpause;” Feminine Rising: Voices of Power & Invisibility, June 2019, Cynren Press
- “Little One;” Memoir Magazine, November 2019; The Charleston Anvil, Winter 2019
- “New Wounds, Old Scars;” Entropy Magazine, January 2018; DoveTales Magazine (WritingforPeace.org), Summer 2018
- “The Stink Plant;” GreenPrints Magazine, Winter 2015-16, 25th Anniversary Issue
- Foreword, Fireside Folklore of West Virginia; by Sheri Brake, Publisher: Raven Rock, March 2014
- “History is Revived at Calhoun’s Heritage Village;” Wonderful West Virginia Magazine, January 2007
- “Show Me Hikers Search for Rare Wildflowers;” Wonderful West Virginia Magazine, April 2007
- “Highlights of West Virginia;” Intelliguide Corporate, www.intelliguide.com. 2006
- “Reading Between The Lines;” column for The Hur Herald, www.hurherald.com, 2008-2009
- “Off the Cuff;” a weekly column for The Calhoun Chronicle, 2004-2006
- “Folk Festival 2000-A Rich GSC Tradition;” Today’s Pioneer, Fall 2000
- 101 Amazing Magic Tricks with a Stripper Deck, Hampton Ridge Magic (now Fun Inc.), September 1997
- 101 Tricks with a Svengali Deck, Hampton Ridge Magic, September 1997
- Also published in The Gilmer Free Press, The Glenville Democrat/ Pathfinder, The Marietta Times, and Wonderful West Virginia Magazine.
- Phone Menu Voice; Gilmer County Dial-A-Story, (October 2020-Present)
- Author Reading; The Trillium at the Pioneer Bluegrass Stage. (September 2020)
- Author Reading; Little Kanawha Reading Series. (February 2020)
- Creative Play for Adults; Gilmer Public Library. (September 2018-2020)
- Friendly Fonts Writer’s Group Facilitator; Gilmer Public Library. (February 2017-Present)
- Adult Journaling Sessions; Gilmer Public Library Summer Learning Program. (June – Sept. 2018, June – Sept. 2019)
- Library Literary Day Coordinator; Gilmer Public Library. September 2019.
- Panel Participant; “How to Self-Motivate and Build Habits for the Writing Life,” West Virginia Wesleyan College. (Winter 2018)
- Conference Presenter; “Altered Books: Making Library Weeds into Creative Treasures,” West Virginia Library Association Annual Fall Conference. (November 2017)
- Journaling Class for Kids; Gilmer Public Library. (Summer 2017)
- Altered Books Crafting Class; Gilmer Public Library. (February 2017-February 2018)
- Keynote Speaker; Gilmer County CEOS Annual Banquet. (2016)
- Back in Time Writer’s Workshop at Heritage Village; designer & facilitator. (October 2016)
- The Celtic Connection Read & Review Team; reviewing books released by the client on Amazon.com. (2015-2016)
- Basic Disaster Birth Support; PowerPoint, script, marketing, booklet, website creation, social media. (2015)
- Model; Pen Through Tongue Packaging, Hampton Ridge Magic, 1997
- 2022 West Virginia Librarian of the Year, March 2022, from WV Library Commission
- Feature Profile – Women of Appalachia Project, September 2019
- Finalist – 2018 Memoir Magazine #Recovery Essay Contest
- Letter of Commendation – from Gilmer Public Library Board of Directors, July 2017
- Second Place, Nonfiction – West Virginia Writer’s Inc. Contest, 2017
- Linda Culp Memorial Scholarship Women’s Opportunity Fund, Parkersburg Area Community Foundation, 2015
- Honorable Mention, Creative Nonfiction. West Virginia Writer’s Inc. Annual Contest, 2015
- Member, Ninth class of The State Journal’s Generation Next: 40 Under 40, 2006
- First Place, Best Columnist – Division 5, WV Press Association Newspaper Contest, 2003
- Second Place, Best Column – Division 5, WV Press Association Newspaper Contest, 2003
- Third Place, Poetry on Nature – West Virginia Writer’s Inc. Annual Contest, 2002
- Pi Gamma Mu or ΠΓΜ (The oldest honor society in the social sciences and the only interdisciplinary social science honor society.) – Glenville State College, 1994
- Outstanding Young Woman on Campus – Glenville State College, 1994
- Onecommune.com – 2022-Present
- Region 1 Representative – West Virginia Writers Inc., 2020-Present
- Scholarship Selection Committee Member – Parkersburg Area Community Foundation, 2020-Present
- Committee Member – West Virginia Library Association Web Site Committee, 2020-2022
- Committee Member – Little Kanawha Reading Series, 2019-2022
- Member/Facilitator – Friendly Fonts Writer’s Group, 2017-Present
- Member – Nonfiction Author’s Association, 2018-Present
- Club Secretary – Rush Run Community Educational Outreach Services (CEOS), Grantsville WV, 2007-2016
- Member – West Virginia Writers, Inc., 2014-Present
- Member – Appalachian Writer’s Association, 2016-2017
- Member – Association of Writers and Poets, 2014-2018
- Member – Mid-Ohio Valley Growers Association, 2013-2015
- Member – Gilmer County Economic Association, 2001-2008
- SKYWARN® Weather Spotter, National Weather Service, 2004-Present
- Member – Calhoun/Gilmer Writer’s Group, 2002-2006
- West Virginia Library Association (Virtual) Spring Conference, November 2021.
- West Virginia Library Association (Virtual) Fall Conference, November 2020.
- West Virginia Library Association Spring Fling, April 2019.
- West Virginia Library Association Fall Conference, November 2018.
- West Virginia Writers, Inc. Annual Fall Conference, November 2018.
- West Virginia Library Association Fall Conference, November 2017.
- West Virginia Writers, Inc. Annual Summer Conference, June 2017.
- West Virginia Small Farms Conference, February 2014.
- Create West Virginia Conference, October 2008, October 2016.
- Normantown Community News Correspondent, 2019-2021
- Mini Librarian, Normantown, WV Mini Library, 2016-2022
- Adopt-A-Highway, Rush Run Road, 2007-2016
- Magazines for Veterans (WV VA Hospital Waiting Rooms), 2007-2016
- Canceled stamps for DAV (Disabled American Veterans) Art & Craft Projects, 2007-2016
- Graphic Designer/Copy Writer, Mid-Ohio Valley Edibles Marketing Campaign, Spring 2014
- Project Leader, Supply Drive for Calhoun Domestic Abuse Response Team, April 2014
- Poverty Simulation for Community Leaders; Event Planner, Wood County WV, January 2014
- Co-Organizer, Calhoun County Farmer’s Market, Spring 2007